Stuffed jalapenos are a favorite bar appetizer. I’ve seen them wrapped in bacon, mixed with fancy ingredients, and stuffed with cheese to the point that you can’t taste the pepper. When cooking at home, I prefer these open face jalapenos. It has a great ratio of cheese to pepper, and the secret ingredient (Garlic) helps to strike a balance between the spicy pepper and the soothing cheese.
RECIPE: Open Face Jalapeno
Makes Appetizer Servings
Cast iron pan
Oven set to 375
Smoked Cheddar Cheese
1) Cut the jalapenos in half, removing the seed and ribs from the peppers. Gloves are helpful for this step.
2) Mince up the cheddar cheese and add it to a bowl with a heavy scoop of cream cheese.
3) Add a pinch of parsley and a teaspoon or two of garlic powder.
4) Stir well to mix.
5) You can roast the jalapenos in a cast iron pan, skin down in the hot pan until they start to blister and brown or you can leave them with an extra crunch by not pre-roasting.
6) Fill the jalapeno halves with the cheese mixture, but be sure not to overfill.
7) Place in the oven until the cheese begins to bubble and brown.