The more I practice making bagels, the better they start looking. These bagels are really looking good.
RECIPE: Beer Grain Everything Bagel
Oven heated to 450
9 oz Warm Water
0.5 oz Yeast
4 oz High Gluten Flour
12 oz Whole Wheat Flour
2 oz Spent Beer Grains
1 Tablespoon Sorghum
0.33 oz Salt
White Poppy Seeds
1) Put the warm water and yeast into the mixer, letting it sit while you measure out the rest of the ingredients.
2) Measure out the whole wheat flour, the high gluten flour, and spent beer grains.
3) Mix together the flour, water, tablespoon of sorghum, and salt.
4) Beat the dough on medium for 5 to 10 minutes or until the dough is formed.
5) Let rise in a warm place until almost double in size.
6) Separate into equal size pieces. Form into bagels and let rest.
7) Bring a pot a water to a bowl and add some sorghum to the pot.
8) Boil the bagels on each side, before moving to a baking sheet.
9) In a bowl, mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, poppy seeds, white poppy seeds, and sea salt.
10) Sprinkle the topping on the bagels before putting them into the oven for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
I found when forming the bagels, the best method is making a thumb hole in the center of the dough and forming from there. I get a more even bagel look then trying to coil and wrap the bagels.