Rueben sandwiches are tasty, but I prefer the Rachel version with turkey as the protein of the sandwich. These Rachel sandwiches were made at the request of my husband, who loves sauerkraut almost as much as I do. Though, he loves swiss cheese much more than I do. In fact, this sandwich is the only way I will eat swiss cheese!
RECIPE: Rachel Sandwich
Makes 2 Sandwiches
Whole Wheat Buns
1) In a bowl, combine a scoop of mayo, a squirt of ketchup, several shakes of worcester sauce, and a solid squeeze of horseradish sauce.
2) Stir well, taste, and adjust ratio until the sauce is just right.
3) Slice open your buns and spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom bun.
4) Layer with desired amount of deli turkey, I usually go for 3-4 slices. Top with more sauce.
5) Add a layer of sauerkraut.
6) Slice the swiss cheese and layer it on top.
7) Put on the top bun and slide it into the panini press.
8) Press the sandwich until the bread is crispy, the swiss is just a little bit melted, and the sauerkraut just begins to warm around the edges but is still cold in the center.