I really wanted to practice pipping frosting. This chocolate cupcake recipe was designed as a way to get just a few cupcakes to play with, without having cupcakes overflowing from the kitchen. My husband joked that we would just eat cupcakes for breakfast since they were all frosted and pretty.
RECIPE: Practice Cupcakes
Makes 10 Cupcakes
Oven heated to 385 Cooling Rack
Piping Bag and Tip
2.5 ounces Margarine or Butter
2 Ounces Chocolate
3.5 Ounces Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Black Walnut Extract
4 ounces Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
3.5 ounces Milk
1) In a bowl, add the margarine/butter and chocolate. Melt in the microwave to combine.
2) In a mixer, beat together the melted chocolate and margarine/butter and the sugar.
3) Add a pinch of salt, 1 egg, and about a teaspoon or so of black walnut extract.
4) Slowly mix in the flour and baking powder, and then the milk to form a batter.
5) Scoop the batter into a lined muffin tin and bake for 18-20 minutes or until done.
6) For the frosting, beat together shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla paste until fluffy. Then add milk till the consistency is right.
7) Let the cupcakes cool on a tray before putting the frosting into a bag and starting to pipe the cupcakes.