I love a good diner meal. After all, I grew up in New Jersey which has plenty of great diners. To mimic the whole experience, we even serve up dinner in baskets. It doesn’t get much more authentic than in our kitchen! To go with this oven baked healthy diner onion rings, we made a not so healthy BBQ cheese burger.
RECIPE: Diner Onion Rings
Makes 2-3 Servings
Lined Baking Sheet
Oven set to 450
For the burger:
Ground beef mixture
Arizona Gunslinger BBQ Sauce
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Whole wheat buns
1) Begin by slicing the onion into rings and separating them out.
2) In one bowl, whisk your eggs and in another add flour.
3) In another bowl, combine matza meal, garlic powder, onion powder, jalapeno powder, and salt.
4) Oil up your lined baking sheets.
5) Dip your onion in to the flour, then egg mixture and then into the matza meal mixture before placing on the baking sheet.
6) Bake the onion rings in a 450 degree oven until crispy and beginning to brown. I was constantly monitoring it so I can’t say for sure how long it took. Somewhere between 10-30 minutes is my guess.
7) Send your husband to grill up the burgers while you are sitting in front of the oven watching the onion rings.
8) Serve up in a basket and enjoy!