Beans and Rice are the perfect budget dinner. They are two of the least expensive items at the grocery store, and often items that are leftover from other meals. This recipe kicks up the traditional budget meal into a nice thick bean stew served over lime rice. It’s easy, delicious, and cheep!
RECIPE: Beans and Rice
Makes 3-4 Servings
Cast iron pans
Spatula or spoons
1) Use your spatula or spoon to drain the black beans and then mash them up a bit before adding to a warm cast iron pan.
2) Season the mashed beans with pureed tomato and pickled jalapenos (no juice).
3) In another pan, begin reheating the leftover rice with a bit of water, lime juice, and then drop it the lime halves to cook with them in order to impart extra flavor.
4) Season the beans with Epazote and chili powder.
5) Use a bit of corn flour to thicken the bean mixture into a nice stew consistency.
6) Remove the lime halves, and then serve the rice in a bowl before adding your beans. This thick stew is definitely rustic looking, but comforting in flavor. If you ever need a simple and cheap to make meal, this one is absolutely delicious!