I like to make traditional bolognese sauce on the weekends. When you have plenty of hours to simmer your sauce for as long as you want for optimal flavor. However, sometimes you want bolognese tasting sauce on a worknight, and no one wants to eat dinner after 9 pm. That’s not even an option in my house because my husband works an early shift and would already be in bed. So here is my variation of bolognese for a work night dinner!
RECIPE: Work Night Bolognese-esque Sauce
Makes enough for 5 servings
Cast iron pan
4-6 Cloves Garlic
Half an Onion
3-4 stalks Celery
1) Peal the cloves of garlic and place them in the food processor.
2) Remove the undesirable bits of onion, carrots, and celery. Break into pieces and add to the food processor.
3) Putting everything through the food process is just a very very quick way to chop up all the vegetables quickly and finely to add to the cast iron pan.
4) Begin cooking the vegetables in the cast iron pan, letting them begin to sweat before adding the meat.
5) When the meat is most of the way cooked, stir in the pureed tomatoes.
6) Let simmer for a while, and flavor with basil and oregano.
7) Bring a pot of salt water to a boil and cook the fettuccine noodles.
8) Drain the noodles and serve topped with sauce and Parmesan cheese.
The sauce definitely isn’t as good as the several hour weekend variety, but this was comparatively quick and let us enjoy the bolognese flavor on a very busy work night.