Spring is sort of here, and that means my desire to create and eat copious amounts of lemon bars has also returned. There is something about these light and delicious treats that just remind me of spring. Maybe its because the lemon yellow reminds me of daffodils, or just that their flavor is bright like the spring sun, awakening all the seedlings in the ground.
Either way, here is the recipe for my delicious, bright, and lemony springtime bars!
RECIPE: Springtime Lemon Bars
Makes 12 Bars
Square baking dish
Oven set to 350 Degrees
1 Stick Butter (softened)
1 Cup Flour
1/4 Confectioner’s sugar
1 Cup Sugar
2 T Lemon Juice
1 t Powdered Lemon Peel
2 T Flour
Extra Confectioner’s Sugar
1) In a bowl, add the butter, flour, and 1/4 cup of confectioner’s sugar. Use your hands or a pastry blender to cut everything together into a crumbly mixture.
2) Press the mixture into the base of your square baking dish and bake for 18 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown.
3) In the bowl, now combine the eggs, the 1 cup sugar, the lemon juice, and powdered lemon peel.
4) Slowly mix in the flour and just a pinch of so of salt.
5) Pour the toppings over the still hot crust (best if you haven’t even taken it out of the oven yet) and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the lemon mixture sets and begins to turn golden brown.
6) Let cool slightly before sprinkling with copious amounts of confectioner’s sugar.
I just love how bright and yellow the interior of these bars are! Absolutely beautiful!