We do not live anywhere near a source of good sushi quality fish. In fact, I don’t think there is anywhere within a few hour drive where we could buy it. Without paying obscene shipping costs, we had to modify our sushi night to incorporate a different kind of fish. Here is our Land Locked Spicy Tuna Sushi!
RECIPE: Land Locked Sushi
Makes 6 Rolls
1 Cup Rice
Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Avocado
2 Cans Tuna
1) In a pot, add sesame oil and dry rice. Stir and toast slightly before adding water and cooking.
2) When the rice is done, stir in a splash of apple cider vinegar and transfer the rice to a bowl.
3) Slice up the cucumber, avocado, and scallions into strips.
4) Open and drain the cans of tuna. Put it into a bowl.
5) Add a small spoonful of mayo and lots of sriracha to the tuna and stir until fully combined.
6) Use a fork to fluff the rice as it cools.
7) Lay out a piece of seaweed on the bamboo mat.
8) Spread out a layer of rice.
9) Layer the rice with the fillings, including the spicy tuna, cucumbers, avocado, and scallions.
10) Roll the sushi and slice into pieces.
11) Serve with a small bowl of soy sauce, pickled ginger, and a wad of wasabi.