After those delicious meatball subs, we had quite a few meatballs left. I have done a lot of regular marinara and tomato sauces lately, and was craving something different to go with these meatballs. When I was in high school, I was addicted to Penne Ala Vodka. There was a place that offered delivery to our school and a 5 dollar lunch deal that included drink, bread, and a big serving of pasta. It was addicting. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the right ingredients to make Ala vodka sauce. So I winged it, and the results were delicious!
RECIPE: Meatballs Ala Vodka…Kind of
Makes 3 Servings
Cast iron pan
Oven set to warm
Light Sour Cream
1) In a pan, begin heating up the crushed canned tomatoes.
2) Stir in a few heavy glugs of vodka and the rest of the sour cream left in the fridge.
3) Stir in the garlic powder (cause I was feeling lazy), oregano, and dried basil.
4) Let the sauce simmer together before adding the meatballs to it.
5) Salt a pot of water and begin cooking the pasta.
6) Heat the leftover rolls from the meatball subs in the oven so you can have a warm crusty slice of bread with dinner.
7) Drain the pasta and stir it into the sauce and meatballs.
8) Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and a slice of warm bread.
Not a traditional ala vodka sauce, but it was darn good with the meatballs and bread!