I rarely get a food craving that haunts me for days. When I start craving a meatball sub, I will continue craving one until I finally make one. I made it about a week and half before I finally caved and made these beautiful subs. They were delicious and filling, and absolutely met my craving.
RECIPE: Ultimate Meatball Sub
Makes 2 Sandwiches
Cast iron pan
Oven set to 350 degrees
Half an Onion
Bulb of Garlic
1 Lb Turkey
1) Quarter an onion and throw two of the quarters of it into a food processor.
2) Peal 3-4 cloves of garlic and toss it in with the onion and process it.
3) Add 2 eggs, the turkey, fresh ground pepper, and breadcrumbs. Process it until well mixed.
4) Heat a pan with some oil in it.
5) Form the mixture into balls and drop into the cast iron pan.
6) Flip the meatballs so that they sear on both sides and then place in the oven to make sure they cook throughout.
7) Chop up a few close of garlic and mix it into butter.
8) Cut open the rolls and partially remove part of the center.
9) Cover the rolls in the garlic butter and then place in the oven with a baking sheet.
10) Remove the meatballs from the oven and mix in the tomato sauce.
11) Slice the mozzarella cheese.
12) Remove the rolls from the oven and fill with the meatballs, and then layer on the mozzarella.
13) Place back into the oven until the cheese melts. While you are waiting, cut up the basil.
14) Remove the finished subs from the oven, sprinkle with basil, and serve!