I rarely crave muffins, but they are a very popular breakfast food. Since I woke up early one Saturday morning, I thought I would bake a batch. They are so easy, and who doesn’t love a warm fresh muffin? My husband loved coming home from work to fresh muffins on the counter. The trick to this recipe is to use unsweetened nothing added apple sauce, and if you can your own, it will just make it that much better.
RECIPE: Cinnamon Apple Sauce Muffins
Makes a Dozen Muffins
Oven heated to 400 degrees
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Apple Sauce
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
Dash of Vanilla
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
1 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Extra Sugar (optional)
1)In a bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar.
2) Stir in the apple sauce, cinnamon, and vanilla.
3) Add the dry ingredients and stir until everything is mixed and forms a batter, but be sure next to over beat it or your muffins will be dense and chewier.
4) Fill the lined muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full.
5) Place the muffins in the oven and let bake for 10-15 minutes. Then sprinkle with a little bit extra sugar and return to the oven for another 5 minutes or so to allow them to finish baking and have the extra sugar crystallize on them.
6) Let cool on a rack or serve warm.
These muffins stand up on their own, so there is no need to get out the butter or jam. The oatmeal helps make these muffins a little heartier. Once you have these muffins for breakfast, you don’t have to worry about snacking before lunch!