I love experimenting with vegan and vegetarian meals. While I will always be a meat eater, its great to have meals you can enjoy that don’t depend on having meat. The result is meals that are cheap, easy to make, and heart healthy! This is a variation of our taco cups that are vegan!
RECIPE: Vegan Taco Cups
Makes 4 Servings
Oven set to 350 Degrees
4 Flour Tortillas
1/2 a can of Pinto Beans
1) Place each of the flour tortillas into a muffin tin to form a cup shape. Place the muffin tin into the oven.
2) In a food processor, combine half a can of pinto beans with some cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Process until smooth.
3) Scoop the pureed beans equally into all four taco cups and place back in the oven.
4) Clean the food processor.
5) Add half a roughly chop and pealed onion to the food processor along with some canned tomatoes and a hearty helping of canned jalapenos. Chop into a fresh salsa that you can top the cups with! I decided to add the salsa and let them bake again to let the flavors cook together a bit.
6) Once the tortillas begin to brown around the edges and the bean mixture is hot in the center, remove the cups from the oven.
The smoothness of the beans and fresh taste of the salsa definitely distracted me from the fact that there was no cheese in this recipe! If you know me, you know my cheese obsession can be borderline unhealthy, so I’m glad that this taco cup delivers without the need for cheese!