They also say that rice and beans are one of the cheapest meals you can make. You can buy giant bags of dried beans, cans of beans, and bags of rice for almost nothing. In ode to my poor student days, I decided to revisit beans and rice and color it up a bit!
RECIPE: Cheap and Vegan
Makes 4 Servings
Large Cast iron pan
1 Green Pepper
3 Canned Tomatoes
3-4 Cloves of Garlic
Leftover or fresh Rice
1) Begin by cutting up the onions and add them to the cast iron pan.
2) Then chop up the green onions and tomatoes and add them to the cooking onions.
3) Mince the Garlic last and add it to the vegetables that are cooking.
4) Add pickled jalapenos to preference and add some of the pickling liquid to the mixture.
5) Slowly stir in the rice, letting it absorb all the moisture that was released by the vegetables as well as the pickling liquid.
6) Drain the pinto beans and add them to the mixture, stirring well.
7) Stir occasionally and let everything cook together. Serve as is without cheese or any add ons.
I love all the flavors of the vegetables which is why I tend not to season this mixture. You can season it as preferred! I also like to cook it quickly so the green peppers still have a bit of snap in him.