The focus of this recipe is on the mash potatoes! My husband loves mashed potatoes and blue cheese so I decided to see if I could combine the two into a single side for him. Now while he would have loved a dinner of just mashed potatoes, I decided to make the meat and peppers as a side to go with the potato main course!
RECIPE: Blue Cheese Mash Potatoes
Makes 1-3 Servings Depending
Chunk of Meat
Paprika (not shown)
2 T Butter
1) After washing the potatoes, cut them into cubes and add them to a pot of water on the stove.
2) Bring the potatoes and stir occasionally, checking to see how done they are. They will be done when a spoon easily crushes a piece or a fork can pierce it with little to no resistance.
3) Cut the pepper into slices and set to the side.
4) Cube the beef and begin browning it in a cast iron pan.
5) Add the peppers to the beef. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and a touch of paprika.
6) When the potatoes are done, drain the remaining water.
7) Add the butter and a glug or so of evaporated milk to the potatoes.
8) Using a hand smasher, smash the potatoes until silky.
9) Smash and mix about half the container of blue cheese into the potatoes. Let sit on the warm burner to incorporate the flavors while you plate the meat and peppers.
I like to leave the skins on because that is wear a lot of different nutrients in potatoes come into play. I honestly now prefer it to mashed potatoes made with potatoes that are peeled.