With my new Penzy spices, I had to have a Cajun night to try them out. From celery flakes to Cajun spice mix to sassafras powder, it needed to be experimented with! I just couldn’t wait to see how the sassafras worked, and I have to say that I love it. It is definitely going on my list of favorite spices. This meal was delicious, and honestly was just made amazing by the addition of sassafras. Plus, it let me use up the rice that was a freebie Friday from Kroger.
RECIPE: Cajun Night
Makes 4 Servings
Cast iron pan
2 Chicken Breast
Garlic Infused Rice
Half an Onion
Canned Tomato Puree
Sassafras Powder (Gumbo File)
1) Begin heating some avocado oil in a cast iron pan.
2) Cube the chicken breast and begin cooking in the pan.
3) Cook rice as directed on packaging in the other pot.
3) Using a clean knife and cutting board,chop up the onion.
5) Season the cooking chicken with some of the Cajun seasoning.
4) Add the onion and celery flakes to the chicken.
5) Let cook for a bit before pouring in the tomato.
6) Stir in a bit of sassafras powder and watch how quickly it thickens everything.
7) Serve the Cajun chicken and tomato over the garlic rice.
The sassafras thickened the tomato sauce and also gave it a rich color. The flavor was subtle, but definitely worth it!