Need a good vegan meal to serve when company is coming? Or are you a vegan who is looking for something new to try? Well I have the recipe for you! Eggplant Steaks! These sear up just like the real thing and are a great excuse to get out those steak knives to dig into a vegetable heavy meal. Baked potatoes make an excellent side, just like it was a real steak dinner.
RECIPE: Eggplant Steaks
Makes 4 Steaks
Cast iron pan
Favorite BBQ Sauce
The spread and Worcester sauce are for my baked potato, cause its the best way to eat them!
1) Cut the top and bottom off the eggplant.
2) Slice the eggplant into four large steaks each about 1/4-1/2 inch in thickness.
3) Get your cast iron pans really hot. Each pan can hold about two steaks, so if you want to make them all at once you will need two pans.
4) Brush the top of your eggplant in bbq sauce and drop into sauce side down into the hot pan.
5) Brush the other side and then flip once its seared.
6) When both sides are seared it should be hot throughout but not mushy. It should have a cooked but kind of chewy texture to it that reminds you of meat.
7) Serve right away with a baked potato as your side.
My husband quickly ate his two steaks, but just one ended up being filling enough for me!