I love chili cheese fries. Actually, I love garbage fries and any variation there within. The problem is that garbage fries are not exactly a healthy meal. Usually you fry the potatoes, cover it in greasy meat, extra cheese or cheese sauce, and lick your fingers after consuming way more calories then you should. I decided to make a healthier version of this meal which is “fried-free” and chock full of vegetables! There aren’t many pictures because my wonderful sous chef/husband started before I got home from work.
RECIPE: Healthy Chili Cheese Fries
Makes 2 Servings
Oven set to 400 degrees
4 ounces ground beef
2 ounces beer
1 Green Pepper
1 ounce Extra Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese
1) Wash the potatoes and then cut them into thin pieces.
2) Lay the potato out in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.
3) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until crispy and perfect.
4) In a small pot, begin browning the beef.
5) Add a bit of beer to the pot, and season to taste with tomato powder, pepper powder, paprika, and just a bit of paprika.
6) Dice up the green pepper and onion.
7) Shred the cheddar cheese.
8) Split the fries onto two plates. Top with 2 ounces of chili, tons of onions and green peppers, and then half an ounce of cheddar cheese.
As you eat this dish the cheese melts into the hot chili and makes the perfect bite! The onion and green pepper make it feel so much healthier, and I really loved this way of making fries. Not only was it less labor intensive, I didn’t have to clean up any grease splatter afterwards!