I decided to experiment a little with my sourdough crust for this pizza. I upped the moisture content a little to attempt to create a more focaccia style crust. The results were crisp on the outside and wonderfully fluffy and chewy on the inside. The entire thing was topped in a decadent mixture of toppings so that after one slice you were full, but still craved another because of the flavor.
RECIPE: Thick Crust Pepperoni Pizza
Makes 4 Slices
Cast iron pans
Oven heated to 450 Degrees
Canned whole tomatoes
Scarborough Fair Spice Mix
Half an Onion
1) In a pan, begin cooking the canned tomatoes with the oregano, basil, and some Scarborough fair spice mix (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme!) Let simmer for an hour or so until the tomatoes break down.
2) Thinly slice the onion and shred the mozzarella cheese.
3) Press the dough into a well greased cast iron pan.
4) Top with the sauce, spreading an even layer of cheese across the pizza.
5) Add a layer of onion over the entire pizza, because its tasty and a good source of vitamin c.
6) Lay the pepperoni over the entire pizza until its almost completely covered.
7) Sprinkle with basil and balsamic vinegar.
8) Bake until the crust is crisp and everything begins to bubble and brown.
9) Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Above is what it looks like before baking, and below is what it looks like when its baked and ready to be eaten! When I have pizza like this I wonder why I ever bother with order out!