I have a riddle for you. You are planning to make a dessert and grilled Korean BBQ ribs for company, however the weather turns bad, like thunder, lightening, and a tornado is forming out in the county. Your husband decides to bake the ribs at 300 degrees for two hours instead of grilling. What do you bake at low temperature that makes a fancy dessert in a small amount of time?
The answer? Meringue, and you have fun with it!
RECIPE: Fun with Meringue
Makes Many Servings
Lined Baking Sheet
Oven set to 300 degrees
2 Egg Whites
Splash of Vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 Cup Sugar
1) Let the egg whites come to room temperature before adding them to the mixer with the vanilla and cream of tartar.
2) Beat it all together until soft peaks form.
3) Continue beating as you sprinkle in the sugar slowly.
4) Use a spatula to transfer the meringue into a pipping bag.
5) Have fun pipping the meringue into cookies, or have fun and pipe out sheets of meringue and little directions.
6) Bake the meringue in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the bottom just slightly turns golden brown.
7) Move the meringue to a cooling rack.
8) If you want to have fun, place a meringue sheet on a plate, top it with bittersweet chocolate frosting, a sprinkling of pecans, another sheet of meringue, frosting pecans, and decorative meringue cones.
Its not a cake, but it made a creative dessert! It was a low baking temperature quick result!