My husband is a huge fan of macaroni and cheese. Whenever we grab something to eat from the local BBQ join, he always orders a huge side of their mac and cheese. Their stuff is seriously dreamy, and I can only imagine the amount of butter, cream, and love they put into it. This recipe is my attempt to mimic the style of their mac and cheese (in a slightly healthier manner). It mus have worked because my husband already asked when I’m going to make it again.
RECIPE: You are the Mac to my Cheese
Makes 4-6 Servings
Depending if its the meal or the side
Cast iron pan
Oven set to 350
1 1/2 Cups dry Macaroni
1/2 to 3/4 of a Stick of Butter
1/2 cup or so Flour
1 Cup Skim Milk
8 oz Cheddar Cheese
1) Cook the macaroni in the pot of water as directed on the box until al dente.
2) In a cast iron pan, melt 1/2 to 3/4 of a stick of butter over low heat.
3) Once the butter is melted, sprinkle it with flour and stir until a thicker even consistency is formed. You want to make sure there are absolutely no clumps.
4) Season the mixture with garlic powder and freshly cracked black pepper.
5) Slowly stir in the skim milk, stir constantly.
6) Shred the cheddar cheese and add it by the handful to the mixture stirring until everything melts into the perfect sauce.
7) Pour the pasta into a glass baking dish and pour the sauce over it. Stir to ensure sauce is evenly coating the pasta.
8) You can bake it right away, or cover it and keep in the fridge until the next day.
9) Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until the edges bubble and the top starts to brown just a little.
This mac and cheese can be served as a main course with vegetables sides, or as a side at a cook out. The recipe is also very easy to scale up if you are cooking for multiple people. The leftovers even heat up great in the microwave.
The asparagus we had as a side was baked in a pan on a different shelf in the oven from the mac and cheese with fresh lemon and some black pepper, so delicious. My husband still doesn’t believe me when I tell him I never ate asparagus before dating him.