I wanted to make a cute two person German Chocolate Cake for our date night the other night. The issue I ran into, was I don’t have small cake pans. So I got creative. This recipe may look like it has a lot of steps or ingredients, but I promise that its really easy to get a good result! Here is my naked German Chocolate Cake, two forks please!
RECIPE: German Chocolate Cake, two forks please!
Makes 2 Servings, and lots of leftovers
Glass Measuring Cup
2 Round Cake Pans
Oven set to 350 degrees
Large Circle Cookie Cutter
1 Cup Butter
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Milk
2 Cups Flour
8 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate
1/2 Cup Water
2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Evaporated Milk
1 Stick Butter
3 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Cups Coconut
1 1/2 Cup Pecans
1) In the mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar.
2) Separate the eggs and place the yolks in with the butter and sugar and the whites in another bowl.
3) Mix the milk and flour into the mixer.
4) In the glass measuring cup, combine the semi sweet chocolate, water, and vanilla. Melt in the microwave stirring every 10 seconds to ensure it melts and doesn’t burn.
5) Pour the melted chocolate into the mixer and beat it in.
6) In the separate bowl, beat the egg whites using the hand mixer until fluffy and makes soft mounds/peeks.
7) Use a spatula to slowly fold the egg whites into the batter.
8) Grease the baking pans and pour the batter into them.
9) Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10) While the cakes are baking, start working on the frosting/filling. Over medium low heat, melt the butter into the evaporated milk.
11) Stir constantly as you add the egg yolks, and then add the pecans and coconut, continuing to stir until it begins to thicken.
12) Let the filling cool.
13) After the cakes have cooled a little on the racks, flip and remove them from the pans.
14) When completely cool, use the large circle cookie cutter to cut out the center from each cake.
15) Place the filling in the center and on the top of the cake, letting it soak in and drip.
16) Combine the leftover cake and filling in a bowl using a spatula and make into cake balls or truffles if desired.