At this point, we now have our three major components: the bread, the sauce, and the meatballs. All that is left is to assemble them! Now you may remember at the end of the meatball recipe, you had half a bowl of minced garlic just sitting there. Well, that garlic is going to come into play when this sub is assembled!
RECIPE: The Meatball Sub
Makes 6 Servings
(But I only made 2 to start!)
Oven set to 375 degrees
1) Begin by slicing the rolls mostly open and remove some of the inside bread.
2) Mix butter into the minced garlic and spread it over the inside of the rolls.
3) Bake until the butter melts into the bread.
4) Scoop meatballs into the buns and top with a bit of extra sauce. 2 to 2 1/2 meatballs will fit in each sub.
5) Slice the mozzarella and lay it on top of the meatballs.
6) Bake until the cheese melts or starts browning, depending on your preference. I like the cheese starting to brown while my husband is more just melted cheese.
7) Cut in half and serve right away!
My husband actually went back for seconds on these subs, and if I had a larger stomach I would have as well! They are absolutely amazing and completely worth the time it takes to make them! The garlic bread buns mix perfectly with the robust tomato sauce and wrap the meatballs and cheese into the perfect bite.