I was really in the mood for Chinese food the other night, but we were in the middle of a no take out month. So I decided I would make some cashew chicken stir fry! As noted in the ingredient picture, I was going to cheat and use a packet for the seasoning. However, my husband decided to get his hands dirty in the kitchen and made a homemade stir fry sauce.
Also, I recommend using a wok for this recipe. However, our flat top stove is not a fan of cooperating with our wok.
RECIPE: Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Makes 4 Servings
Cast iron pans
Stir Fry Sauce
1) In a cast iron pan, begin slightly toasting the rice in some sesame oil. When lightly toasted, cover in water and let rice begin cooking.
2) On a plastic cutting board, cut the chicken into chunks or strips.
3) Begin cooking the chicken in a cast iron pan.
4) On a wooden cutting board, cut half on onion into rings and then cut the rings in half to have long strips of onion. Toss them in with the chicken.
5) When the sauce is ready, pour it over the chicken and onions.
6) Wash and remove the ends from the green beans and add them to the mix while stirring.
7) Quickly cut the water chestnuts in half and toss them and about 1/2 a can of cashews into the pan, stirring and cooking only until they are heated. You want them to stay crisp.
8) Serve the cashew chicken stir fry over rice and enjoy!