When I was a kid, we would always have ground turkey tacos in crunchy shells. As I was walking down the protein aisle at the market and saw the ground turkey breast on sale, I knew that I just had to have turkey tacos for dinner! My husband prefers the soft shell over crunchy, so I got crunchy taco shells for myself and whole wheat tortillas for him.
RECIPE: Turkey Taco Throwback
Makes Dinner for 2 and several lunches worth of leftovers
Cast iron pan
Oven set to 375
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Ground Turkey Breast
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1) Put two corn shells and two whole wheat tortillas in the taco tray and in the oven to bake for 5-7 minutes.
2) In a cast iron pan, begin cooking the ground turkey breast.
3) Season the turkey breast with cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, and some homemade chili powder! If the seasoning doesn’t spread well, add a tablespoon or two of water to the pan to help make the flavor more consistent throughout.
4) While the turkey cooks, give it an occasional stir and begin prepping the toppings.
5) Cut the corn off the grilled cob, chop up half an onion, slice up some cheddar cheese, and dice up a tomato or two from the garden.
6) Remove the taco shells and tortillas from the oven and fill it with turkey, corn, onion, tomatoes, and top it with a slice of cheese to hold it all in!