I have heard there are grilled cheese purists on the internet, that say adding anything beyond cheese to a sandwich no longer allows it to be called a grilled cheese. I disagree with them, and believe that there are no limits to what you can put into a grilled cheese as long as its made in a pan with butter!
RECIPE: Summer Style Grilled Cheese
Makes 3 Sandwiches
Cast iron pan
4 oz Pepper Jack Cheese
6 Slices of Whole Wheat Bread
1) Begin heating the cast iron pan on just under medium heat.
2) Slice the pepper jack cheese into thin pieces.
3) Slice the tomatoes to your preferred thickness.
4) Butter one side of each piece of bread.
5) In the cast iron pan, place one piece of bread butter side down. Put down a layer of tomatoes, place down a layer of cheese, and then top with another piece of bread butter side up.
6) When one side is golden brown, flip and let the other side brown.
7) Remove the sandwiches to the cutting board and let cool for a few seconds before cutting on an angle. This limits cheese strings when its cut apart.
The match of the fresh tomatoes with the flavor of the pepper jack cheese makes an absolutely delicious sandwich!