If you have a cardiologist, I would suggest skipping this recipe because it is not heart healthy in the least. Just like the bacon wrapped ribs, this recipe is delicious, but also probably not worth making more than once a year to keep your arteries clear and operating. Also, this recipe includes chilling it so I recommend starting it a few hours before dinner and letting it just hang in your fridge while you cook the rest of the meal.
RECIPE: Bacon Grease Potato Salad
Makes 4 Servings
Spatula or Spoon
Carrots with greens
1) Pour the bacon grease into a pot and begin heating it up over medium heat.
2) Dice the potato into little pieces. Toss it into the bacon grease and cover.
3) Place two eggs in a pot of water and bring it to a boil. I have a little egg timer that tells me when they are hard boiled.
4) Chop the carrots and place them in a bowl. They won’t be cooked so they stay crispy crunchy.
5) Chop up the carrot greens and toss them in with the potatoes. Keep the potatoes uncovered and stir occasionally so that they cook evenly and get just a bit crispy on the outside.
6) Season the potatoes in the pot with malt vinegar and a dash of garlic powder.
7) When the potatoes are cooked through, pour them into the bowl with the carrots.
8) Scoop mayo over the potatoes while they are still warm and stir until everything is evenly coated. Cover the bowl and let it chill in the fridge for a while.
9) When the eggs are done, drain them and pour ice water over them to cool them quickly and make them easy to peel.
10) Peal the eggs and then rinse them to make sure all the egg shell is gone.
11) Remove the yolks form the eggs and put into a small bowl.
12) And just enough mustard to the bowl that you can mash it with the yolks into a spread.
13) Chop up the egg whites into little pieces.
14) Stir the egg yolk mix and egg whites into the potato mixture.
15) Let chill fully combined for an hour or two prior to serving. This potato salad goes really well with fresh and light meals. We did a lemon ginger marinated chicken and grilled corn to balance out the strong flavor of the potato salad.