So there is a reason Jambalaya is in quotations, because I don’t need anyone telling me that its not jambalaya and not authentic to it’s Cajun roots. Trust me, I know that this recipe would make every grave in New Orleans turn over. This recipe is my experiment in taking a traditional jambalaya, and making it vegetarian and even vegan friendly.
RECIPE: Vegan “Jambalaya”
Makes 4 Servings
Cast iron pan
Cajun season mix
1) I started this recipe with my own trinity, of chopped garlic scapes, banana peppers, and carrots. All of these are chopped up and sauteed together until soft in a cast iron pan.
2) To replace the chicken and sausage, cut a zucchini in half down the center, and then make half circle slices.
3) Add the zucchini to the vegetables.
4) Sprinkle the mixture with homemade Cajun seasoning mix.
5) Pour part of a can of tomato puree over everything.
6) Stir and let simmer while you reheat the cooked rice.
7) Serve the vegan “jambalaya” over the rice.