I love all stages of tomatoes. Green tomatoes are so great fried or mixed into pasta sauces. Yellow tomatoes are bright and crisp and lighten up just about any dish. Red tomatoes are so juicy and flavorful that you just want to cook them down into everything. This recipe began with the idea of making zucchini boats for my husband, but quickly dissolved into my love for all this vegetable!
RECIPE: Yellow Tomato Bowl
Makes 3 Servings
Cast iron pans
6 oz Ground Beef
1) Cut the top off the zucchini, and slice in half the long way.
2) Use a spoon to scoop out the center of the zucchini.
3) In a heated cast iron pan, began browning the ground meat. 4) On the cutting board, chop up the garlic scape into tiny pieces and add it to the beef right away. Scapes need a longer time to soften up, and this gives the beef a chance to get a bit extra garlic flavor.
5) Chop up the center of the zucchini, slice up the scallions, chop up the cilantro, and cut up the yellow tomato in chunks.
6) Once the beef is mostly cooked, slide all of the vegetables into the pan!
7) In another pan, begin warming the half zucchinis.
8) Season the vegetable and beef mixture with a healthy helping of cumin, some paprika, and a heavy dash of chili powder.
9) Stir and let the mixture cook for a while. In the meantime, slice the cheddar cheese into long thin slices.
10) Scoop a bit of the mixture into the zucchini boats, top with cheese, and broil.
11) In a bowl, scoop up all of the delicious vegetables and beef as is and sprinkle with a bit of cheese.
12) Enjoy either way!