It is to hot outside to bake meatballs and then make the sauce to simmer them in, and then construct the sub sandwiches. The next best thing is a deconstructed meatball sub, which is a meatball sub in a sloppy Joe format.
RECIPE: Deconstructed Meatball Sub
Makes 3 Servings
Cast iron pan
Oven set to broil
1) Begin browning the beef in the cast iron pan.
2) While the beef cooks, chop up the garlic, onion, mozzarella, and basil.
3) Stir in onion and garlic.
4) Add tomato paste and make sure it’s thoroughly stirred.
5) Season with basil and oregano.
6) Lay the buns out on a baking sheet.
8) Scoop the meat mixture onto the bun, and then topped with mozzarella cheese.
9) Slide the tray under the broiler until the cheese melts and the top bun toasts.
This sandwich met my craving for meatball subs without making me sweat it out in the kitchen!