Normally, hush puppies are a corn meal based dough that is fried. However, I am trying my hardest to cut down on how much frying we do around here. So I decided I would bake our hush puppies, and throw in some good old fashion vegetables to make them even healthier!
RECIPE: Hush Puppies
Makes 11 Hush Puppies
Oven heated to 375
1 Cup Corn Meal
1 Cup Flour
2/3 Cup Milk
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
1 Cup Zucchini
1) In a mixing bowl, stir together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder, and onion powder.
2) Grease the muffin tin with crisco or the oil of your choice.
3) Chop up a cup of zucchini, and then use the leftover with mushrooms for sauced up vegetables.
4) Add the eggs, milk, and oil to the center of the dried ingredients in the mixing bowl.
5) Stir until everything is well combined, but not over stirred. The batter should be on the thick side. 6) Add the chopped zucchini and stir until its evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
7) Scoop the batter into the greased muffin tins and put into the hot oven.
8) Bake until the tops are golden, slightly puffed, and all done!
Hush puppies are always good with BBQ. To keep this meal healthy and vegetarian friendly, we chopped up mushrooms and zucchini and cooked them in a southern style BBQ sauce. The result was pretty darn good, and an excellent paring with the zucchini hush puppies.