I was going through my computer, and realized this was a fun kitchen experiment that I never published. My husband had made us mac and cheese using the noodles from a box of mac and cheese, but his own homemade cheese sauce. That means we had a packet of powdered cheese just sitting in our cabinet. So back before I decided to cut back on fried fries, here is the cheesy fries recipe!
RECIPE: Cheesey Fries
Makes 2-3 Servings
Oven set to 350
Spoon or Spatula
Hot Pepper Juice
Powdered Cheese Sauce
1) Cut the potatoes into wedges.
2) Begin heating about a 1/4 inch of oil in a pan.
3) In another pan, combine the cheese sauce with a bit of milk and begin heating it on low.
4) Fry the wedges until brown on each side. Then place on a baking sheet and slide it into the oven until the sauce is ready.
5) Add a heavy splash or two of hot pepper juice to the cheese mixture.
6) Add some dried mustard powder and garlic powder to the cheese mixture. Stir, taste, and adjust.
7) Let the sauce cook until it thickens a bit, and then turn off the heat.
8) Thinly slice up two spring onions.
9) Move the potato wedges from the baking sheet to a serving platter.
10) Drizzle the cheese sauce over the fries and then top with lots and lots of fresh spring onion. The spring onion is an important part of the recipe. It helps make the dish lighter and fresh tasting. The additions to the cheese sauce will make it taste much less processed and much more homemade and complex.