Since I made a not so classic coconut cream pie, I decided to conquer a more classic version. This wonderful pie has a nice thick coconut custard base with a fluffy meringue and toasted coconut on top. It looked much prettier in person than it does in the pictures, and the taste was unbelievable. It made me want to bake even more custard based pies!
RECIPE: Coconut Cream Pie
Makes 1 Pie
Oven heated to 375
1 Stick Butter
1 Packet Graham Crackers
4 Egg Yolks
4 Egg Whites
Pint of Heavy Cream
2 Ounces White Sugar
1) Begin heating a tea pot of water on the stove.
2) Separate the 4 eggs so that the four yolks go into a bowl, and the four egg whites go into a mixer bowl.
3) Mix two ounces of white sugar into the egg yolks.
4) In a pan, begin heating together the the heavy cream, a dash of vanilla, and a pinch of salt.
5) In another bowl, melt the stick of butter.
6) Grind up one packet of graham crackers and mix them thoroughly with the butter before pressing the mixture into a pie dish.
7) When the heavy cream mixture is warm, slowly begin pouring it into the egg yolk and sugar mixture, stirring constantly at an even pace as you sprinkle in 1/2 a cup to 1 cup of shredded coconut.
8) Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and place on the baking sheet.
9) Pour the water out of the tea pot into the baking sheet until its about 1/2 way up the pie dish.
10) Place in the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes.
11) While the custard starts baking, figure out the weight of your egg whites. If you have two mixing bowls, just zero the scale with an empty one, and then switch it with the filled one.
12) Begin beating the egg whites. When the egg whites are soft peaks, begin slowly adding an equal amount of white sugar to them as you continue to beat. This is why you need to know the weight of the egg whites!
13) When the meringue hits solid peaks (but not over beaten), wait for the timer to beep. Once it beeps, open the oven and scoop the meringue over the pie and sprinkle it with more coconut!
14) Close the oven and let it bake for another 5-10 minutes until the coconut begins toasting and the meringue is just the lightest shade of golden brown.
15) Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a rack before moving it to the fridge.