If you live in the south, you better cook like you live in the south! Besides being an iconic movie, fried green tomatoes are available at almost down home southern style restaurant in my area (and living in the south, there are a lot of those restaurants). Since the farmer’s market had some green tomatoes for sale, I thought I would try my hand at frying some up.
RECIPE: Fried Green Tomatoes
Makes 2 Servings
Cast iron pan
1) Slice the green tomatoes into desired thickness. I like them a bit on the thick side, while my husband likes them thinner.
2) In the small bowls, fill one with flour, another with egg, and a third with bread crumbs with a bit of black pepper mixed in.
3) Melt the crisco in the cast iron pan and get it hot.
4) Dip each slice of green tomato into the flour, then the egg, and then finally into the bread crumbs before dropping them into the oil.
5) Flip the green tomatoes so each side browns evenly.
6) Put the fried green tomatoes onto a plate, and lightly salt them before serving.
These fried green tomatoes were so tasty that they ended up being dinner instead of an appetizer! They are so simple to make, but such a unique flavor.