I made the honest mistake of suggesting we do onion rings with our burgers. My husband assumed I meant as a topping, instead of a side. Once his mind was on that track, there was no changing it. The result was our onion volcano burger! Erupting with cheese and sauce, this burger will make you blow your top.
RECIPE: Onion Volcano Burger
Makes 2 Servings
Cast iron pan
1) Cut the onion into thick slices.
2) Heat oil in a cast iron pan.
3) In a set of three bowls, have one contain a mix of flour and baking powder, another containing bread crumbs with garlic powder, and a third with eggs and a dash of milk.
4) Dip the onion rings into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and then the bread crumbs.
5) Place the coated onion rings in the oil mixture and use a fork to turn them so that they evenly brown.
6) Let the onion rings drip excess oil after frying by placing them on the cooling rack, and then sprinkle with salt.
7) When done frying, place the onion rings on a baking dish in a warm oven to stay hot until dinner.
8) Form the ground mixture of beef and bacon into patties. Season with salt and pepper on each side before grilling.
9) In a bowl, mix together a scoop of mayo, a small amount of sriracha sauce, cilantro, and a touch of paprika. Also shred the cheddar cheese.
10) Place to onion rings on each burger while its still on the grill. Place a heavy pinch of shredded cheese inside the onion rings so that it starts melting when you remove the patties.
11) Place the patties on a bun and then place a scoop of sauce at the top of the onion ring volcano.
12) Serve the burgers with the extra onion rings on the side!
With this erupting onion volcano burger, a beer is your best choice for a beverage. I chose the Abita Strawberry Lager because it has a light fruity flavor that screams summer time beer. It was a perfect compliment for this burger!