To me, there are three members of the pizza dough family. There is pizza, a family favorite and flexible. Then there is pizzas folded over brother calzone, which can be shared but tends to be inhaled by a single person who would also just fold a pizza in half to consume it. Lastly, there is Stromboli which I feel is it’s new world modern cousin. While I make a lot of pizza, I think Stromboli is my favorite.
RECIPE: Creamy Chicken Stromboli
Makes 4-5 Servings
Wooden Cutting Board
Plastic Cutting Board
Oven set to 450 degrees
Cast iron pan
Half and Half
Half and Half
1) Slice the mushrooms and chop up the onion.
2) Slice the mozzarella cheese.
3) On the plastic cutting board, cut up the chicken thighs into bite size chunks.
4) Toss the chicken thigh into a cast iron pan. When it is about 3/4 of the way cooked, add in the onion and stir.
5) Add the mushrooms and broccoli to the pan and let it cook.
6) Season the chicken and vegetables with a bit of black pepper and a slight bit of tarragon.
7) Use the spatula to add the cream cheese a chunk at a time to the pan.
8) As the cream cheese melts, pour in the last little bit of half and half to thin it into a nice sauce.
9) Spread out the dough on your baking dish.
10) Fill the center of the dough with the chicken and vegetable mixture.
11) Lay the mozzarella cheese over the filling.
12) Fold the dough over the top and pinch to shut.
13) Bake the Stromboli until the outside is a beautiful crunchy brown and the inside is all hot and melted and juicy.
14) Remove from the oven and let cool for a little bit before slicing and serving.