These are the closest that I get to a classic oatmeal raisin cookie. Most of the time, I like to play around with the ingredients. This time, I only added in one nontraditional ingredient. If you don’t like wheat germ, you can leave it out (but it’s highly recommend that you keep it in!) These cookies last for a while, so they are great for sending in the mail!
RECIPE: Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes 4 Dozens
Oven heated to 375
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
Dash of Allspice
1/2 cup Shortening
1 stick Margarine
3/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 1/4 cup Flour
2 cups Oats
1/4 cup Wheat Germ
1 1/2 cup Raisins
1) Beat together the egg, vanilla, and assorted spices.
2) Add the shortening, margarine, and sugars. Cream until well combined.
3) Slowly add the flour, oats, and wheat germ.
4) Use a spatula to stir in the raisins.
5) Scoop the dough onto an ungreased baking sheet.
6) Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges become golden brown.
7) Remove from the baking sheet and let cool on a baking rack.
8) Once fully cooled you can either put them in a jar for yourself or box them up to mail out!
These cookies are delicious for breakfast or for dessert after dinner. They are complimented well with a glass of milk.