Snickerdoodles are a good feeling cookie. I feel like everyone has a happy memory associated with these cookies. Whether it was splitting a bag of them at your school bake sale with your best friend, or opening a tin of these in a care package, snickerdoodles will bring a smile to your face. I have been making snickerdoodles for a very, very long time. I was even given photographic proof to share with you!
I can’t say my sense of style has changed much over the years. I still wear more flannels around the house than I care to admit, though I don’t have any in that color anymore (I wish I did!). My favorite apron for baking is also now yellow, and I wear my hair back instead of under a bonnet.
But anywhere, there I am making snickerdoodles while standing on a step stool so I can even reach the counter! So after years of experience, I can gaurantee this is the best recipe.
Makes 4 Dozen Cookies
Oven heated to 375 degrees
3 Cups Flour
1 Cup Margarine
1 1/3 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons Sugars
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1) In a small bowl or shake, combine the 2 Tablespoons sugars and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set aside for later.
2) Place the room temperature margarine in a mixer, Cream it together with the sugar.
3) Beat in the eggs.
4) Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until a dough is formed.
5) Using a spoon or cookie scoop, measure out equal pieces of dough.
6) Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over a plate or bowl.
7) Roll the dough in your hands before rolling it through the cinnamon and sugar.
8) Place the dough on the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
9) Remove from the baking sheet and let cool completely before putting in an air tight container.
While this recipe makes 4 dozen cookies, I never seem to have four dozen cookies to put away. Its almost like some disappear every time I turn my back to the cooling rack. If the crumbs in my husband’s beard are any indicators, warm snickerdoodles are very good for secret snacking.