When I found a meal we both like, I sometimes enjoy modifying them to see how to improve them. This variation definitely has some pluses, but also reaffirmed some of the original recipe as well. For instance, adding green pepper? Taste buds gave those a big thumbs up! Switching to northern great beans? The taste bud panel came back with the request of returning to black beans.
RECIPE: Cup o’Taco: Take Two
Makes 3-4 Servings
Oven heated to 375
Great Northern Beans
1) Place tortillas in the muffin tins to make the cups. Let them bake in the oven until it preheats to the correct temperature, and then let sit on the side.
2) In a cast iron pan, begin to cook together half a can of diced tomatoes, a can of Great Northern Beans, and some hot peppers.
3) Dice half an onion and add it to the beans.
4) Season the bean mixture with chili powder, cayenne, paprika, and a bit of cilantro.
5) Chop up the green pepper and shred the cheddar cheese.
6) Scoop some of the bean mixture into the bottom of each tortilla cup.
7) Top with some more diced tomatoes, the green pepper, and then the cheddar cheese.
8) Place back in the oven to bake until the cheese melts and the top edge of the tortillas begins to brown.
9) Remove from cups from the muffin pan, and serve right away with the option of salsa, hot sauce, or as is.
These do reheat nicely for lunch the next day as well!