I have been needing breakfasts that I eat on the go. Not because I am in a hurry, but because I have started walking to work. I figure its a good way to start the day, and I need to get myself into healthier habits. These are my first attempt at healthy start cranberry muffins! My first though, there needs to be more cranberry. I am doubling the amount next time I make them.
RECIPE: Healthy Start Cranberry Muffings
Makes 15 Servings
Oven Heated to 400
3 tablespoons Sugar
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3 tablespoons wheat germ
1 1/4 cup Milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup Cranberries
1 teaspoon Salt
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1) In a sauce pan over low heat, combine the cranberries, about 1/2 a lemon of zest, and the 3 tablespoons of sugar.
2) In a mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt.
3) Slowly add the egg, almond extract, and milk to the batter, stirring continuously.
4) Once the cranberries have burst and coked a bit, add them to the batter and stir until mixed throughout.
5) Dish the batter into the lined muffin tin. It made a little over a dozen cupcakes.
6) Bake for about 20 minutes or until done.