This recipe has the compliment (and perhaps insult?) of being just like the box mix. It is consistently good throughout, but what makes it absolutely incredible is the peanut butter frosting. Our friends could not get enough of these cupcakes. Even the ones who don’t like peanut butter were licking their fingers after these cupcakes.
RECIPE: Devilish Cupcakes
Makes 4 Dozen
Oven heat to 375
12 oz Flour
2 oz Cocoa Powder
.25 oz Salt
.375 oz Baking Powder
.25 oz Baking Soda
7 oz Shortening
1 lb Sugar
8 oz Skim Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
6 oz Skim Milk
1/4 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1) Measure out the baking ingredients on a kitchen scale as you need them.
2) Mix together the dry ingredients for the cupcakes.
3) Add the shortening, sugar, and the first 8 ounces of skim milk. Beat until well combined. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.
4) Beat in the vanilla, the rest of the milk, and the eggs. After it is combined, continue beating the mixture for another 5 minutes.
5) In a muffin tin, place the cupcake liners and fill them each with scoops of batter. You want them to be half full or so.
6) Bake for 8-15 minutes depending on your oven and cupcake sizes. Use a tooth pick to test the center to make sure they are done.
7) Let the cupcakes cool.
8) For the frosting, beat together the shortening, vanilla, and peanut butter.
9) Beat in powdered sugar and then slowly add milk and beat it until the right texture is formed.
10) Use a spatula to move the frosting into a frosting gun or pastry bag. Frost the cupcakes as desired. If you don’t have a frosting gun or bag, feel free to just frost with a knife.
I put a little bit of white decorating sugar on the cupcakes to make them sparkle a little. I also could have frosted them prettier, but sometimes more frosting beats out having pretty looking cupcakes.