I feel like cabbage is an unloved vegetable. It is so versatile, from coleslaw to soup it can do just about anything. And yet, we often relegate cabbage to the land of forgotten vegetables. It hasn’t gotten a new image like brussels sprouts or become trendy like kale. It is still just cabbage, and I wish others could love cabbage as much as us.
Pork with Cabbage Salad
Makes 2 Servings
Cast iron pan
1) Slice pork loin into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Seaosn with salt, pepper, paprika, and a touch of rosemary.
2) Slice cabbage and toss into a cast iron pan. Slice carrots and then add them to the cabbage.
3) If you are in a rush, you can partially steam the vegetables by pouring some water into the hot pan. Otherwise just use a touch of oil and let the vegetables cook low and slow. Season with salt, pepper, and dill.
4) Chunk the apple into little pieces. When the cabbage is cooked, add the apples to the mixture.
5) Season the vegetables with some nutmeg and cinnamon. Just a little to enhance the sweetness of the apples.
5) Grill the pork on a hot grill.
6) Serve the salad when the apples are cooked, but still have a bit of crunch to them.
The sweetness of the apples just plays off the cabbage in the best way. When you add it to the pork, the flavor profiles will just rock your world!