When I was a kid, we used to pick apples at an orchard that served homemade apple cider donuts. Those donuts hold a soft spot in my memories of childhood autumns. When I saw a recipe for them in Food and Wine magazine, I knew I had to try to make these.
I made one or two slight adjustments to the recipe based on what we had in our cabinet. The results were fantastic! It made soo many donuts. My office and my neighbors all loved them, and some even complained that they were so delicious that it completely ruined their diets. (Not my fault they ate over 3 donuts each!)
This recipe takes a pretty long time to make, so be sure to read the recipe carefully before starting.
RECIPE: Apple Cider Donuts
Makes Way too Many Servings
Round Cookie Cutters
1 1/4 Cup Apple Cider
4 Tablespoons Margarine
5+ Cups Flour
1 Cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
2 Cups Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 T Vanilla
1 T Baking Powder
2 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
1 T Cinnamon
2 t Cloves
1) In a small sauce pan, combine 1/4 cup apple cider and margarine. Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
2) Add a heaping 1/4 cup of flour and stir constantly until a paste forms. Move into a small bowl or measuring cup and chill for 2 hours.
3) In a blender, combine the chilled mixture, evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, and 1 cup cider. Blend until smooth.
4) Pour blended mixture into a bowl and stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until a sticky dough is formed (4 1/2 + cups).
5) Cover a baking sheet with plastic wrap, cover in dough, wrap in plastic and refrigerator for 4 hours.
6) Pour oil into a pan until about an inch deep. Begin heating on medium high heat.
7) Sprinkle flour on the counter, plop dough on it, sprinkle with flour on top. Roll until 1/2 inch thick.
8) Use two round cookie cutters to cut out donuts, and then the donuts’ holes.
9) In a bowl, mix together 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.
10) Drop cut dough into oil until it begins to brown, then flip. When done frying drop straight into sugar and shake!
11) Lay out donuts on cooling rack (or eat one or two donut holes warm).