We decided to grill pizza, but I wanted to try making a super duper deep dish pizza that would put all other deep dish pizzas to shame. I can honestly say I succeeded. The fillings were layered to create a pizza slice that would stay together while being an inch deep! Pairs well with a carrot top salad to lighten up the meal.
RECIPE: Deepest Dish Pizza
Makes 6 Slices
Cast Iron Pan
Cast Iron Pot
3/4 Quart Vodka Sauce
Herb Pizza Dough (with all purpose flour)
1) Cook the ground sausage with a touch of beer in a cast iron pan.
2) Shred Mozzarella cheese.
3) When dough is ready, pressed into greased cast iron pot and make sure it goes up the sides.
4) Layer vodka sauce, cheese, sausage, vodka sauce, cheese, sausage, vodka sauce, cheese, sausage, hot peppers. The layering lets you optimize the amount of sauce and cheese without it melting apart.
5) Cook on a hot grill until the crust is golden and the cheese melted and slightly bubbly/browned. Use many potholders to remove from grill.
6) Remove the pizza from the pot and let cool for a minute before slicing and serving.
I got through 2 slices and was insanely stuffed. A single slice makes a decent lunch!