We received the best present ever…ice cream sandwich making supplies! With summer (eventually?) coming to a close, I decided now was the perfect time to break them in. This is a basic ice cream sandwich with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate cake. I am looking forward to trying different combinations in the next few weeks.
RECIPE: Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 6 Servings
Ice Cream Machine
Kitchen Aid Mixer
Oven set to 325 degrees
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Cup Whole Milk
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 t Baking Soda
1/4 t Salt
1 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 Cup Butter
1 Cup Flour
2/3 Cup Sugar
1) In a mixing bowl, begin beating the two eggs until fluffy.
2) Beat in the 2/3 cup sugar until thoroughly mixed.
3) Stir in two cups of heavy cream and the one cup of whole milk.
4) Add two tablespoons of vanilla and the inside of a vanilla bean into the mixture.
5) Slowly pour the mixture into the ice cream mixture. Let it churn and then once set pour it into a container and freeze it!
6) In a kitchen aid mixer, beat together 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, and a teaspoon of vanilla.
7) Microwave chocolate chips and butter, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
8) Add flour, salt, and baking soda to the kitchen aid mixer. Beat to combine.
9) Pour chocolate into the mixture and beat until combined.
10) Grease the baking sheet of your choosing, I decided to use my new ice cream sandwich pan.
11) Pour in batter, smooth, and bake for 10-12 minutes.
12) Remove cakes to cooling rack immediately.
13) Once cakes are cooled completely and the ice cream set firm, begin to assemble. I have a little box that allows me to create perfect looking sandwiches. You can just scoop and press until it looks right.
14) Serve immediately or wrap in wax paper and freeze for later.
My fiance voted these better than store bought. He did suggest a little less ice cream next time to make a better cake to ice cream ratio.