Breakfast may not be the most important meal of the day, but it can be the most delicious. Here is my recipe for almond apple pancakes that bring together a delicate flavor pallet that seems more appropriate for a bed and breakfast than a busy day at home.
RECIPE: Almond Apple Pancakes
Makes Servings for 4 to 6
Cast iron skillet
2 Cups Flour
2 T White Sugar
1/2 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt
1/2 T Almond Extract
2 Cups Skim Milk
1) Stir together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
2) Beat in eggs, almond extract, and skim milk.
3) Heat skillet to medium heat.
4) Slice green apple into strips.
5) Scoop batter onto hot skillet. Layer on green apples, if you run out of apples, replace with chocolate chips.
6) When bubbles form and pop, flip, and then serve.
7) These pancakes do not need butter, but a little bit of syrup never hurts.
The almond extract gives a delicate and delicious flavor to these apple pancakes. You can add cinnamon or nutmeg to the recipe, but be aware it may overpower the almond flavor.