I love pizza and this summer I have wanted nothing more than to grill pizza. While I could use our pizza stone to grill some good pizza, why not really go outside the box. Cast iron pan deep dish pizza on the grill. That’s right, a deep dish pizza filled with delicious toppings. I must apologize because the pictures include pictures of balsamic vinegar and feta cheese, which ended up not going on the pizza. I started thinking about fancy pizza, but ended up more all American basic pizza.
RECIPE: Deep Dish Pizza
Makes 2 Servings
Cast Iron Pan
1) In a bread maker, add flour, water, oil, salt and yeast according to instructions to create a pizza dough. We added the ingredients in the morning and set the time so it would be ready after work.
2) Chop garlic scapes and garlic cloves and toss into a pot with tomatoes.
3) Immersion blend the tomatoes.
4) Chop the basil and add to the tomato. Season with parsley, cayenne, a touch of sugar, salt, and black pepper. Let simmer while stirring occasionally.
5) Begin cooking sausage in a cast iron pan.
6) Remove sausage, and let pan cool.
7) Heat grill in preparation to bake the pizza.
8) Shred cheese and slice green peppers.
9) Press dough into the cast iron pan, top with sauce, cheese, sausage, and green pepper.
10) Put cast iron pan on the hot grill, and close the lid. Temperature should be between 400-500 degrees, like pizza oven hot.
11) Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until fully baked crust.
12) Use multiple pot holders to move pan, it will be insanely hot. Remove pizza to cutting board, cut, and serve.