A vegetarian night is always a good idea. That doesn’t mean you have to eat a salad or carrot sticks. I decided to go southern style with our vegetarian meal this week, so here is my veggie filled baked beans and spicy corn bread. You will enjoy this recipe so much! I do apologize that the cornbread is from Jiffy box mix. But come on, its so good and easy! There is a reason it’s America’s favorite as the box tells us.
RECIPE: Baked Beans and Corn Bread
Makes 4-6 Servings
Cast Iron Pan
Oven heated to 350
2 Yellow Squash
Corn Bread Mix
1) Mix corn bread mix with the egg and milk as directed on the box. Add half a can of corn.
2) Chop the jalapenos into rings and stir into the corn bread mixture.
3) In greased pan, spread corn bread mixture evenly and then bake as directed in a 350 degree oven. Remove when it starts to brown.
4) Chop yellow squash and zucchini into pieces that are approximately bean sized. Add to cast iron pan.
5) Drain a can of pinto beans and then pour over the veggies. Stir until well mixed.
6) Keep veggies and beans on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
7) Squeeze a heavy dose of ketchup over the mixture, and then a lesser amount of mustard, a handful of brown sugar, and a dash of celery seed over the bean mixture.
8) Stir until the ingredients are incorporated and evenly coated with sauce.
9) Let simmer until the corn bread is down, stirring to make sure nothing burns to the bottom.
10)Serve in a bowl with the corn bread on the bottom and the baked beans over top. A glass of milk on the side would be advised.