I stopped by the orchard this weekend and was able to score some #2 peaches freshly picked. I canned some of them yesterday, and today I decided it was time for peach fritters! Freshly fried and with a splash of powder sugar, there is no better treat! It tastes just like the county fairs I remember from living in Pennsylvania.
RECIPE: Peach Fritters
Makes 12 Fritters
Measuring cups and spoons
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 t Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Margarine
1/2 Cup Simple Syrup
1) Chop peaches into small pieces.
2) In a bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of melted margarine, 1 cup flour, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon baking powder, salt, 1/2 cup simple syrup and a heavy dash of all spice.
3) Mix together peaches and batter until thoroughly coated.
4) Over medium high heat, melt a 1/2 inch layer of crisco.
5) Once oil is hot (sparks up when water is dripped into the pot), drop in fritter and let brown. Flip and let brown.
6) Serve warm with a touch of powdered sugar.