Sadly, there were no green beans at the farmers market this weekend. That means I had to switch from Dilly Beans to peppers for canning! Here is my recipe for canned peppers. Today’s peppers were a mix of mild and hot, but I will also be doing hot peppers in the coming weeks. Then I need to find a good source of tomatoes to start on my sauces and soup bases!
RECIPE: Canned Peppers
Makes 5 Pints
Canner and associated tools
Pot with lid
3 lbs Mixed Peppers
6 Cups Vinegar
2 Cups Water
3 Cloves Garlic
1) In a pot, mix vinegar and water.
2) Peal and smash garlic, and add to pot.
3) Heat vinegar mix to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Sterilize jars and bring water canner to a boil.
6) Chop peppers and place in a bowl. With hot peppers, its important to wear gloves or you may regret it later in the day.
7) Fill peppers into hot jars and top with hot vinegar mixture leaving a 1/2 inch head space. Be sure the garlic stays in the pots and doesn’t end up in the jars.
8) Process for 10 minutes and then let sit over night before storing.